Saturday, December 19, 2015

Trying for a Healthier Lifestyle

Our focus right now is trying to get/be healthy. While yes, we want to be pregnant, my husband and I agree that getting healthy and losing some weight would be the best thing to focus on at the moment.  Let’s not stress about trying to get pregnant at the moment, but let’s see if it happens as we work on getting into better shape.  So we are as we laughing say, not-not trying to get pregnant.  We are trying to let nature take its course. My husband is better at this mindset than me, I can't really get "getting-pregnant" fully out of my head.

So it the interest of being accountable and sharing my progress with you, I weigh as of my last doctor’s appointment, 230 pounds.  I have semi-recently embarked on my journey of eating better. I cut out excessive sweets and sugar about a month and a half ago (with one cheat day we dub “Sunday Night Sweet Tooth”).  Almost everything I read talks about how sugar and PCOS don’t play well together, which makes sense since insulin and blood sugar play into PCOS.

The next step for me was to reduce my caloric intake.  There’s a calculator I used to estimate the number of calories I am supposed to eat, based on my activity level.  I am not great about exercising, so I chose little to no activity.  So according to the calculator, I need to eat around 1800 calories a day.

Calculator can be found HERE.


Of course, lately I have been having a few more sweets because I can't avoid temptation as much as I would want to during the holiday season, there are sweets everywhere and I have a massive sweet tooth.

Typically, I have a small bowl of cereal for breakfast (~350 calories), then a small snack, like snapea crisps (~100 calories), then lunch that consists of a salad with feta cheese and a protein (~250-300 calories) then another snack, typically grapes and nuts (~400 calories, a bit higher than most snacks, but nuts have a bunch of calories), and dinner usually comes in around 600 calories, and that's usually a lean protein dish made at home or a smarter choice from a fast food place (we are not perfect!).

I have been terrible about getting up to exercise in the morning and I am not very self-motivated to exercise, so unless I have a buddy I typically don't exercise.  My husband is more motivated in the morning and typically doesn't want to go for a walk with me after work (I don't want to go alone when it gets dark so early, either).  So my exercising routine is basically non-existent.

Hopefully I can get my act together before the new year!


No comments:

Post a Comment