Tuesday, November 3, 2015

999 to go ...


So I have always loved origami, since I was a little kid. I would go to the school library and check out books on how to fold the pretty little pieces of paper. If I didn't have origami paper I would use construction paper, computer paper, napkins, etc ... I was obsessed.

I think it all started with the story of Sadako Sasaki. My teacher told us her story one day in class and I was mesmerized. The story as I remember it told to us in school was that Sadako Sasaki was a little girl in Japan who was one of many who were effected by the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan during WW2. She got cancer from the radiation and was hospitalized. While in the hospital, she started making paper cranes in the hopes of folding the 1,000 necessary to be granted a wish. Her wish was to become healthy again. Unfortunately she was unable to finish her goal before passing away. Now there is a statue of her in Japan where people go and place cranes to honor her.

I remember seeing the statue of her draped in strings of colorful paper cranes and I was enchanted. So I went to the library and checked out a book and taught myself how to make a paper crane. I was hooked. I tried out so many different things from those books, but the cranes and the story of Sadako Sasaki have always stuck with me. I have always been able to fold cranes ever since.

Now I want to fold my own 1,000 cranes. I am not really a superstitious person, so I don't think I will be getting a wish granted but I know what my wish would be anyway. So I have officially started folding these little paper birds.





I have folded a lot of cranes over the span of 15+ years (including strings of them for a friends wedding) but I am going to start this little batch with the number 1 and eventually I may make it to 1,000.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment